Friday, January 20, 2017

Inline image 1 In addition to the artwork I post regularly I also do portraits, so I thought I share some of those. Several years ago I painted this portrait (oil on canvas, 78"x60") of the visionary Father Swann, who began a school in 1974 with eight students. Today, that same school has more than 1,150 students and is considered one of the top schools in the country. The painting shows Father Swann in his office which was situated in a large room where the students congregated to study and socialize. Separated only by glass he could look out across his beloved student body at all times while he worked. They in turn were always cognizant of his benevolent presence and felt free to ask for his assistance throughout the day. From our vantage point a small section of the students are reflected in the glass while he looks out among them. I would like to claim that the unconventional idea for this portrait was mine but it was actually Father Swann's. From the outset, he knew what he wanted and left it to me to figure out how to realize his vision. Among artists, some dubious things are said about commissioned work but, in my experience portraits have always been a very pleasant experience. #oilpainting #oilportrait #portraitpainting #portraitart #portraitartist


via Instagram http://ift.tt/2jguCMl

No comments:

Post a Comment